Monday 13 May 2013

The voice

 No, not that TV talent show (though I could go on one, given that I have a killer sob story), I'm talking about my precious little vocal chords.

In my first entry I mentioned that when they take out your thyroid they have to be careful to not damage your vocal chords. I'm sure they were as careful as possible, but unfortunately my left vocal chord no longer works. (All part of the elaborate sob story I will tell at the TV talent show audition).

It's really not that big of a deal as apparently the right vocal chord compensates for it, and people have said that they do not think my voice is all that different. It's just that when you're on your own in a room, your thoughts wander and get pretty melodramatic. All I could think was,"What if I can't ever sing again?" and I had to shake myself out of crying on my pillow like a Disney Princess. 

I have sung a little bit. Just to myself, and the only difference I'm hearing is not being able to hit high notes as well as I could. All I really need to do ,when I'm up to it, is call my singing teacher and fill her in on what's happened so she can try to help me out.

So I have a goal in mind: my sister is getting married at the beginning of August, and has asked me to sing and play something at her wedding. Now, I may only have one functioning vocal chord (which may or may not fix itself apparently) and I may have "limited movement" in my shoulders, but I WILL do this for my sister! Even if I can't play anything properly, I will find a way to sing!

Look out, Current Popular Singer, I'm right behind you!

4 comments:

  1. That's hard. I hope it will be ok in the end. I am sure you will be able to sing for your sister's wedding and it will be great. Why limited movement? Is that permanent? You are doing well. You've been so brave. Just keep going. It will all be over eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had a thyroidectomy and neck dissection, which damaged the nerves in my neck a little bit. They didn't say it was permanent, but it could be that way for up to 12 months.

      Delete
  2. Years ago when I did a little bit of opera training, my teacher who had trained some members of the Australian Opera, reminded me that singing was actually 85% mental ability and only 15% physical. My sweet brave niece, your mind is incredibly strong - you'll be fine and your voice will soar again I'm sure :-)

    ReplyDelete