Thursday 16 May 2013

Angelina Jolie's boobs

Will be the subject of this blog. Without visual aids though, cheeky!

As far as I understand it, she had a double masectomy. A preventative measure, because she was found to have a cancer gene.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call her a hero. She was presented with an option, and agreed it was the best course of action. However, I still think someone could draw some inspiration from this and I'll explain why.

Aspects of cancer treatment can be demoralising. Having to have a masectomy. Losing your hair during chemotherapy. Even I got a bit of an unpleasant shock when I first looked in the mirror after surgery! You can't always find the strength to say,"Well now I can get a bunch of fun scarves to tie around my head! It'll be fun!" or,"Well now bikini shopping might be a bit easier!" For some it is probably a constant reminder of how unfair the situation is. 

Here's where I come to Angelina Jolie. Yes, the woman has done some weird stuff, but she is still strong, confident, and incredibly beautiful. Losing her boobs is not going to change that (and even she probably had to brace herself when she saw her reflection for the first time after surgery). I hope that other women who've been through this kind of thing would see that they can still be strong, confident, and beautiful. They ARE still strong, confident, and beautiful! 

Strong. Confident. Beautiful. 

3 comments:

  1. Strong, confident, beautiful. You are too (that much more beautiful because unlike her, I am entirely sure you are an awesome person - she probably is, no disrespect to her, but I am very sure with you). Try your best not to forget it. Health issues can feel disgusting, demoralising, etc. I know what's wrong with me isn't the same as what you're going through, but as someone who has had years of explaining my health, it's a pain and deciding to tell everyone to be helpful and empower is brave, both on her part and yours. Keep up the good work and the good fight. You're doing brilliantly! You really are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm all caught up.

    wow. and i'm really at a loss of words. i just don't know what to say. you're really, really brave, adele! and i know that you can beat this thing but it's so painful and sort of surreal to read what you're really going through.

    you're amazing, adele. you really are. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, by "of" i mean "for". i may be a little confused right now?! haha.

      Delete