Wednesday 17 April 2013

The pre op assessment

WAS BORING! Boring but somewhat informative. I had my height and weight measured, blood pressure tested and urine tested. Then I was asked a ton of questions about my health. I got to ask some questions, too. I'm still nervous but, they said that was normal.

 They showed me around the ward, and that's when reality really set in. Next Monday evening, I will be lying in one of those beds. The ward consists of little rooms with 1, 2 or 4 beds in. It's mixed, but men share rooms with other men and the women share rooms with other women. It's just surreal that I will be one of those people next week.

Oh, can we please talk about how complicated it is to give a urine sample if you're female? It's like the only time I've had penis envy. Good job Freud isn't here to see this.

I know that I just have to take this a bit at a time. It's just that it still seems like it's so far away and it's not! It's next Monday! I won't feel better till it's all over and done with...When I can say that I'm survivor!

I'm coming for you, cancer.

5 comments:

  1. You can do it Adele! Thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So sad I can't come to Brandi's wedding reception

      Delete
  2. Love and prayers from your family on the other side of the world.
    If I was cancer, I'd be very afraid right now.
    love, uncle cliff & family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urine samples for women can be just ridiculous. I had to give one for something much more minor a few weeks ago (just a UTI) and they gave me this tiny test tube that I had to hold in the lobby while waiting for some bizarre reason, which was mortifying! At least in the US over the years, my doctors there gave me a full proper cup. I don't know how they expect women to pee in a test tube haha. I did manage, but it was...challenging. I am hoping this particular surgery is just a bit weird and this is not some UK wide thing where women with stressful enough problems have to pee in test tubes.

    ReplyDelete