Thursday 25 September 2014

Being in battle

On Tuesday at the hospital, my friend (who drove me and my mum there) came into said hospital to "use the facilities" when an article on a noticeboard caught her eye. She asked the receptionist if she could have a photocopy of it in exchange for a donation.

The reason she wanted a copy of it, is because she thought I might be able to relate to the article, because is about a woman suffering from cancer and using humour as a coping mechanism-- something my friend thought I'd be able to relate to! 

I agreed with a few of her points, such as coping with the situation with lots of laughter and dark humour. She mentioned as well that you shouldn't tell someone how to feel, and that is actually something I can learn from. The amount of times I've told friends and family not to get upset about me having cancer! They can cry if they want to! She was also talking about all the exciting stuff she'd done. That got me thinking about how even though I've had to sacrifice a few things due to fatigue, I've made up for it with other opportunities. 

There was one thing I couldn't quite agree with her on. She writer of the article says that she does not like to think of it as battle, or a fight. I've heard someone else say this, too (that "someone" was actually a character in Emmerdale...Oh, shush!) I get it, but I do like to think of it as a battle. That's exactly how I like to think of it (along with the old hiking metaphor) because if the internet has taught us anything, it's that it is fun to anthropomorphise things. Usually for the internet, it's cats. For me it's cancer. It helps me to think of being in a battle with cancer, with an army of friends and family. That's the kind of thing that keeps me strong, I think. Feeling like I'm fighting something. It makes me powerful. 

Everyone's got their way of dealing with something, and I cannot say that the way she is doing is wrong, just like she could not say that the way I'm doing it is wrong. I do think, however, that cancer is a big scary beast that I need a lot of assistance in defeating! 




No comments:

Post a Comment