Wednesday 17 June 2015

MORE positive things!

As I type this, I have a headache. It is making me grumpy. I do not like feeling this way so I'm trying to remedy it by making a list of positive things. I might have already mentioned some of these, but it's okay. 1)I found a new voice coach. I am the fifth person she has met recently who has their thyroid yanked out so she knows how to help me. We are worked on getting into my "chest voice" which is basically just the lower end of my range. We're sort of enhancing, for lack of a better word, the lower end because the top end of my range is a bit quivery. (Apparently "quivery" is a word. Spellcheck likes it, but curiously does not like "endometriosis") 2)A lot of my friends and family are doing awesome things and having great opportunities come their way, and I just want to burst with pride! It is just so lovely to watch someone's dreams come true. To see their hard work pay off. To watch as that thing they've been longing for finally comes to them. 3)Mmmm, summertime! I just love it! I love these light evenings so much that I temporarily abandoned this blog to go sit outside, but quickly discovered that it is very windy outside and therefore much too chilly for any of that sitting outside business! On the plus side, the wind appears to have blown the headache out of my head! That's how it works, isn't it? **Science!** 4)I am not just learning what limits are when it comes to fatigue, I'm learning how to be okay with having limits. Yes, it's meant missing out on opportunities which can be disappointing. Most recently I've had to miss out on a voice workshop which I knew would have been great for me but too much for me to take on. There was also a picnic which I was supposed to go on with some friends. However on the morning of the picnic, I woke up later than I'd intended (I prefer to try and wake up naturally. I don't like being shocked awake by alarms) I knew that by the time I'd gone to the supermarket and got some food, got home and packed up everything I wanted to take, and made the journey down there, that I just wouldn't be in the mood for it anymore. When I was talking about this with a friend she said,"It's fine. We're not going to make you do something if you feel too tired!" That made me feel a lot better. I'm learning to make compromises. I'm learning how to be okay with turning things down. I'm learning how to be wise about making decisions. This whole experience has been the biggest learning curve ever, but I guess you don't come out of an experience without learning a few things. 5)I have thought a lot lately about what it means, for me, to beat cancer. I don't just want to be healed of the physical stuff, I want to be healed of the mental damage it's done to me. I have finished therapy now, but I have the tools to help me go forward, as well as a great support system of family and friends (who are pretty much extended family) If I really need to go back to therapy, I know how to go about it. I think that is all. I feel a bit less grumpy now!

2 comments: