Thursday 11 June 2015

Finally saw a gynaecologist!

I encourage you to have an celebratory dance party whilst you read this entry, because I finally saw a gynaecologist this week! I didn't see them at the time I was supposed to see them, and I still had a bit of a wait (take a book. Always take a book) However this time there was a delay of forty minutes or even two hours! The nurse came and got me from the waiting room, and then I did still have to wait a bit longer for the actual gynaecologist. When he finally came in he asked me a few general questions about the situation and my health. The annoying thing was that I had written down some things that I wanted to say but I had forgotten to bring it with me! I tried my best to remember, though. When he was done asking questions, he explained what exactly endometriosis is and all the treatment options. At some point he said,"It seems like you know quite a lot about this already" and I said,"Oh, yes. I have researched this heavily!" (In hindsight, I think I meant,"extensively" not "heavily" but never mind!) There are several different options. There's a surgery called a laporoptomy but that is not guaranteed to be successful. A hysterectomy is much too drastic given that I'm in my twenties. That leaves things like the injection, progesterone, and the contraceptive pill. Those three things each have their advantages and disadvantages, and it's up to me what I do now. That is daunting to be honest, as I was not given a choice with the thyroid cancer stuff. I needed surgery and radioiodine treatment and I need to be on the medication which I'm on to help my body compensate for the lack of a thyroid organ. I've been going on about wanting to have some control for ages, but now I'm being given I don't think I really want it! Not too much of it, anyway. I was saying a few moments ago that I want to choose one of the options and then have the doctor tell me whether or not that is the correct choice. The doctor pointed me towards a website that could help me. It's the website for the Royal College Of Gynaecologists, or something, and it's all sorts of useful information that can help me decide. The gynaecologist wants to see me in a couple of months time and we'll talk about whatever decision I've made. Nothing is finalised but things are on the way to being sorted. Nice and vague! That is my life right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment