Thursday 17 April 2014

Physiotherapy

I had my second session today. He asked me if I was doing any better, but I just said I felt like it was too early to tell (he agreed, thankfully) I am much better than I was, though. I know that, because when I first came out of hospital I couldn't wash my hair on my own, get dressed on my own, or even put a coat on my own! I can do these things now...Well, I need a bit of a rest when I wash my hair, but I can do it! I just need to loosen up my muscles now.

The first session was just seeing what I could and could not do, and then he gave me some exercises. Today however, he had me lay face down on the examination table, and he pressed down on my neck, shoulders, and back, so he could get a real idea of the extent of the stiffness in my muscles. It hurt on my neck and shoulders, he was really pressing down hard! Parts of my back, neck, and shoulders were a bit tender. Also, I am ticklish (this information is not to be used against me, thank you) so there were times when I flinched because of that, rather than any pain!

He is quite a nice man, and I guess that that is good, because if I thought he was mean, then I would resent him for making me ache so much!

My iffy shoulders and neck, my calcium levels, and my fatigue, are the main things that bother me. The fatigue I cannot really control. Well, I can to a certain extent (such as listening to my body, and resting whenever I feel the fatigue setting in) However, I feel like the situation with my shoulders and neck, is something I can take control of with the physiotherapy. I feel like it puts me back in control of the situation, and could be the catalyst for me getting back into work (though, given that I haven't been given the all-clear yet, working is still a long way off and I am getting ahead of myself!) It's just that so much of this entire situation has been out of my control, that it's just nice to feel like I have some control somewhere. (Yes, I know I have said "control" a lot in this entry. It's the banner word, I think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment