Thursday 23 January 2014

Pesky Calcium. Part 3

The levels have dropped, yet again. The blood test I had last week showed that my parathyroid glands weren't working at all (I know. I thought they were, as well) This means I have to help my body make calcium, which is probably why the levels are dropping. As well as trying to eat as many calcium-rich foods as possible, I've also had to change the dosages on a couple of my medications.

I'm now on 0.25mg of alfacalcidol, four times a day. That's not too bad, really. The most upsetting part is that I now have to take two calcichews, twice a day. I might only take them twice a day, but each time there's TWO OF THEM!! Don't worry, I have plenty of delicious things on hand to help the medicine go down, as it were. I have asked if there's a different thing I can take, and apparently this is the best thing for me to be on, given my situation. Which is confusing to me, because when I was in hospital after my operation, a doctor said something about the endocrinologists wanting to put me on "syrups". I would like to know what changed their minds, because to me syrup=deliciousness, and I'd rather have that!

It is hard to be upbeat about it. I think the most frustrating part is that these doctors and nurses don't seem to know an awful lot about it, so it's hard to get many answers, and difficult to research. It's like the world of severe calcium deficiencies is still a mystery in some ways. I trust that all these doctors and nurses are doing everything they can though, and I am doing everything I can, as well. I often wish I had a magic mirror that I could use to see inside my body! That would be useful, wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment