Sunday 12 January 2014

Eating better

So, since finding out that my calcium was very low, I've been trying to take steps to make that better. One step was of course, to raise the dosage of my medication (though as I type this, I'm due to take a calcichew) The other step was to "eat myself better" as a friend put it. So, I've been trying to eat foods that are rich in calcium, but to be honest, I could be eating better full stop.

I do try to have a balanced diet. Trouble is, the scales tend to tip towards the unhealthy foods. I like stuff that is unhealthy, and sorry to say, but I'm an emotional eater. I did not use to be, but I think it started when my dad was in hospital and I, unfortunately, ate my feelings because I didn't know what else to do with them. I got a bit stressed out about something the other day, and thankfully I managed not to turn to food for comfort, but it was really difficult.

New Year, New Start is kind of a cliche, but it's true. Of course, every day that you wake up is a chance for a fresh start, but there's something about starting a new year and saying,"Yeah! New me! Old Me got left behind in 2013! New me loves moderation and doesn't cry into a bargain bucket when things get too much!"

I'm not talking about following some kind of meal plan (though that probably wouldn't hurt) Just making more sensible choices about what I eat. I know what's good for me and what isn't. Of course, there can be "hidden nasties", but it's not like I'm going to eat a raspberry jam-filled doughnut because I think it counts towards my five-a-day!

Frankly, I can't believe that I've only just realised I should start being healthier, but now that I've had this realisation, hopefully I can start forming better habits and taking care of myself. Then maybe I won't feel so run down all the time!

Now, to take my medicine and resist a doughnut.



No comments:

Post a Comment